The following are different residential roofing materials that are available to choose from:
1. Rolled Residential Roofing – This is an ideal option if you are searching for the cheapest option to go on an insignificant part of your home. It comes in the form of horizontal thin roof sheets. It is not too attractive but it is easy to find in most hardware shops.
2. Asphalt – This is the most common type of material that is used for residential roofs. They are very durable and can last up to 30 years or even longer at times depending on the material’s quality. It comes in long corrugated sheets. This is the best option to use if you want to match the style of your home and roof shingles.
3. Metal Roofing –In terms of the style of roofing and cost, metal roofing is quite flexible. It can be more expansive or affordable when compared with asphalt, based on what the roof design is. Specialists are available for metal roofing sheet replacement, repair, or installation.
4. Cedar Shakes – This is a high-end material that is a bit more expensive compared to metal or asphalt roofing materials. High maintenance is also required and most roofing contractors advise against this as a roof replacement material. In order to avoid problems associated with mildew and bugs, cedar shakes need maintenance on a regular basis. Often this material is justed use to repair existing cedar shake roofs. But when they are maintained properly. a cedar shake roof is quite durable and can last for as long as 50 years or more.
5. Slate Tile – This is one of the most expensive materials that are available for residential roofs. Very skilled specialists and labor are required to install a slate tile roof properly. Although a slate tile roof can be quite expensive, due to its life expectancy it can be treated as a one-time investment.